I know I sound like a broken record, but I don’t think I can say it enough … WATER IS IMPORTANT for a healthy lifestyle … Don’t forget to drink enough water every SINGLE day!!
- Without water, the earth would look like the moon.
- All living things need water to live. People can live several weeks without food, but only a few days without water. We should drink six to eight glasses of water each day!
- Water makes up 83% of our blood, 70% of our brain, and 90% of our lungs. Overall, our bodies are 70% water.
- A tomato is about 95% water. An apple, a pineapple, and an ear of corn are each 80% water.
- Most of the water on earth—97%, to be exact—is saltwater and can’t be used for drinking purposes. Only 3% is freshwater, and most of that is tied up in the polar ice caps and glaciers.
- Water is one of the few substances on Earth that occurs naturally in solid (ice), liquid (water) and gas (water vapor, steam) states.
- We need to drink water frequently, but drinking too much water can kill you. Drinking too much water can cause a dangerously low dilution of electrolytes and other minerals in the body, leading to death by “hyper-hydration.” Fortunately, the two most common causes of this condition in healthy individuals can be avoided: long exercise periods where lots of water is consumed with few electrolytes ingested (try a sports drink instead); and water-drinking contests or hazing rituals.
- Water is sometimes called the “universal solvent” because it can dissolve many substances, including metals (turning steel into rust, for example). In fact, pure H2O is tasteless; many bottled and mineral waters obtain their unique tastes from the minerals dissolved in their source water.