Earlene Wernham, HD, DSHomMed – Honours, RHom., Homeopathic Physician
431 Boler Road & 6 Longview Court, London, ON 519-204-2391
Have you ever wondered why we don’t usually get the flu or colds during the summer months? There is a very simple explanation – Lack of Vitamin D3 and eating too much processed white sugar during the Fall and Winter months.
In the summer we are outside almost every day in the sun and fresh air. Our bodies are soaking up the UVB rays (if you are not wearing sunscreen) and making high levels of vitamin D3 from sun’s UVB rays. Once September rolls around, we are usually in doors more than out and if we are outside, the sun’s UVB rays are not as strong as they were in July and August. Our stored-up vitamin D3 levels will start to be depleted.
With respect to immune system lowering processed white sugar – early in October, we have Thanksgiving with all the pies, cakes, cookies, whipped cream, etc., then followed by Halloween at the end of October and we find ourselves sneaking into our kids loot bags for those little chocolate bars. Just a few weeks down the road, the pre-Christmas parties and Christmas drop-ins start up with all the sugary and festive treats and goodies, only to be followed by Christmas, (not to mention all the stress involved with getting ready for Christmas!) Stress is known to weaken the immune system too). With New Years just a week away from Christmas, with all its festive treats and goodies and parties and lack of sleep, it’s no wonder why some of us succumb to the cold and flu virus during this time of the year.
Contrary to what we are made to believe, our immune system is constantly fighting off these viruses as they are always around us, the viruses don’t pack their suitcases and go on vacation during the summer months and then return in the Fall and Winter to invade our bodies. The only reason why there is a “cold and flu season” is simple, the host is weak and the virus is stronger at this time. With the lack of Vitamin D3, eating so much more processed sugar, more stress, and lack of sleep – we set-up an environment in which these viruses can thrive and take hold in our immune weakened bodies.
There are however, many natural, safe and effective ways to enhance and build-up our immune system so that our bodies will be able to thwart off incoming viruses and avoid colds this Fall and Winter such as:
1) Order your homeopathic Influenzium which is available now from my office. Homeopathic Influenzium is a wonderful, safe and natural flu prevention strategy and flu treatment that is taken for 7 days once per month throughout the season starting now until end of April. The cost of a full season’s supply is only $20 plus HST. Completely safe for you and all members of your family, no matter what age or health condition. Your family should not be without it! I also carry other great flu and cold treatments such as Oscillococcinum and Homeocoksinum.
2) You can safely use a sun-tanning bed during the winter months but please use these devices responsibly and don’t repetitively burn your skin. Also, avoid using any type of sunscreen as it will block the UVB rays and prevent the body from synthesizing Vitamin D3, instead, try using organic cocoa nut oil instead. Showering immediately after sun tanning doesn’t give your skin enough time to absorb the Vitamin D3 that it just produced. It apparently takes up to 48 hours for this fat-soluble steroid hormone to be fully absorbed into the bloodstream. You can still shower but don’t use soap on your body other than your armpits and groin areas. Over-showering is not good for your skin anyways as it washes away a type of cholesterol (sebum, the oil on your skin) on the surface of the skin which is necessary for Vitamin D3 production. Be careful with sun exposure to UVA rays which are those that can cause cancer and skin damage. These rays are the strongest and longest when the sun is lower than 50 degrees above the horizon, which is during our Fall, Winter and Spring months. This is when skin needs to be protected.
3) Take a vitamin D3 supplement every day throughout the Fall, Winter and Spring starting end of September to end of April. In my practice, I advise adults to take 5000 to 8000 IUs per day. Children over age 12 can take up to 1000 to 3000 IU’s, children under 12 can take according to their age – for example: 900IU for a 9 year old, 800 IU for an 8 year old, etc. Apparently our bodies can manufacture approximately 400IU in 3 minutes with 25% skin exposure to UVB rays during the summer months at high noon.
Vitamin D3 is an important immune system modulator and since one of the best sources of Vitamin D3 is from UVB rays, it’s really important to supplement during the Fall, Winter and Spring months. Of course, always check with your Healthcare Provider before starting any supplementation program.
4) Drink immune-boosting smoothies or eat fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds that are high in immune boosting vitamins and minerals, such as: Avocados, mangoes, oranges, grapefruit, lemons/limes, kiwi, pumpkin seeds, red/yellow bell peppers. Other immune boosting foods are: mushrooms, onions, garlic, beef, and kefir. Refrain from eating immune weakening foods such as white sugar, white flour, white rice, processed foods, fast foods, GMO’s. If you are a vegetarian, you can supplement with zinc tablets in lieu of beef.
5) Listen to your body and get lots of zzzzzz’s. It’s natural that you will feel more tired this time of the year as it gets darker earlier. Your body will start to produce the sleep hormone – melatonin much earlier in the evening and you may feel sleepy earlier, but, that’s okay, go with your body and get to bed.
6) Try to relax and reduce stress in your life, learn how to say “no” so that you don’t stretch yourself too thin. Have more “me” time, it so good for your soul!
7) Eat foods that protect and strengthen your lungs and upper respiratory system such as: fruits and veggies high in beta cryptoxanthin and beta carotene – papayas, red bell peppers, kale, oranges, squash, and sweet potatoes.
8) Eat foods and take supplements that are natural anti-virals such as: grapes, garlic, Echinacea, astragalus. Just make sure you buy organic grapes as they are highly sprayed with insecticides.
9) Laugh a little! Watch some comedy movies, or spend some fun time with family and friends. Laughter boosts immune function at many levels. It’s good for your body and your mental health. Our family’s favourite movie during the Christmas holidays is “Christmas Vacation” with Chevy Chase, it will give you a good belly laugh!
10) Try to get outdoors for fresh air walks every day, even in the winter months; you will be amazed at how much better you will feel. Open up your windows and let fresh air in, did you know that fresh air heats up faster than stale inside air?
When we give our body what it needs to function at a high level, such as nutrient dense whole food, good quality sleep, and afford ourselves some much needed “me” time, our immune systems as well as all of our other body systems will be functioning at optimum levels and it won’t matter if other people around us are sick, our healthy body will be able to thwart off viruses and stay healthy and symptom free on the mental, physical and spiritual levels throughout the entire year.
Earlene Wernham, Director of The Homeopathy Centre in West London, is a dedicated and caring Homeopathic Physician – Our unique programs will help you to regain your health and keep you and your family functioning optimally on all levels – Mind, Body and Soul. Earlene Wernham has a special interest in providing excellent health care for women and children’s health. With over 15 years experience in treating and improving autistic spectrum disorders, Earlene is a Certified CEASE Therapist and is considered to be an expert in the field of Autism. In addition, we offer a comprehensive Fertility Program for Couples, a Pregnancy & Labour Program and the Mom and Baby’s First Year Programs as well.
“I don’t treat the “Name” of the Disease, I treat the Whole Person and explore why this person developed this disease pattern in the first place. I endeavour to find the “root cause” in each case otherwise; we are just treating the end result and not the cause”. Call now for your free 30 minute consultation to see if Homeopathy may be able to help you get healthy and stay healthy.
Don’t miss next topic: “Is Wheat Making you Sick?”
Medical Advice Disclaimer
The information included in this website/blog is for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan. Reading the information on this website/blog does not create a physician-patient relationship.